The choice of where to send Hudson for kindergarten has weighed on my mind for a while, well years. Just as I dreaded those KG shots, now we have to commit and decide where to enroll him. Choice 1: Ponderosa, the local elementary school which isn't where we technically should go but Miss Lexie's has a bus stop there for before and after school. Choice 2: Summit, the local choice school that teaches deeper units of study and it's hard to get in based off of phone call order system, like a lottery. Choice 3: The Oaks, Christian, classical school up the street. I think we ruled out Northwest Christian because of the location (too far) until I end up working there, possibly, or we move farther north.
I read this quote and it spoke to my heart:
"On the mornings I take the kids to school, I pray out loud over them. There's a certain part in the drive where I'll turn whatever song is playing, quiet the silly chatter, and start to pray. I always say "let ____ and _____ be a light for you Lord, that others would see something in them and want to find out what it is." One day _____ asked me what that meant. I told her it means that people would be drawn to Jesus and His love because of the love they see through her and how she treats others. This is my prayer for myself too. For our whole family. I pray we live out His love in such a real and honest way that isn't forceful, but that draws people in. Not to us. Not for our glory. But for Him and to Him." I really want Hudson to stand out, in a good way through respect, kindness to others, and following directions.
I have really wanted to start Hud in public school. I think we have an opportunity as Christian's to witness to others but also because, well, I"m proud of our public school education! I'd like to try it and see how it goes before we commit to private school. Well on Hudson's first day of swim class this summer, the teacher said one of my former colleagues might be teaching kinder at Summit. I got ridiculously excited! It was my teaching partner for 2 of my 3 years in kindergarten. She is phenomenal and would love and nurture my boy! I felt like this was an answer prayer on where our boy was to go. Best of all, I know what/how she teaches so I can help/reinforce at home!
For Summit, you call the year in advance. So we called last September 2013 before he started kindergarten, and put our name/number on an answering machine and hope you "get in." Ridiculous and stressful! So apparently we got in even though the answering mating wasn't working, again! We were told when we called to register, 2 full all day kindergarten classes, now it is back the A/B group (which I prefer b/c it's like my current schedule and I get another year with my boy!) but I was told by another friend it would be 1 full day class. Which is it people?!
So that's been confusing, but also a new kindergarten teacher,and 80+ kindergartners on the wait list, I wanted to give it a whirl. If you don't start in kindergarten at Summit, it's harder to get in. Of the two classes, 44 total, 26+ were siblings so that left around 18 spots; miraculously, we got one! I love Summit's community, nontraditional learning with field trips with hands-on learning. I'm really excited for this year!
Hudson has shown great excitement towards school. Since spring, he is SUPER chatty, social, adventurous (for him), and wanting play dates daily. I can tell he NEEDS the social outlet kindergarten provides! We have also tried to phase out naps. I think he went weeks without a nap before kindergarten but this does happen every so often
His thoughtful Aunt Tiff bought him a cool back pack for Christmas and he sat patiently eating his snack, wearing it, ready for school:).
Sis had to wear hers too:).
Thanks again Aunt Tiff!!!
Then it was Open House Night! Unforcanetly a disadvantage of being a teacher is having the same open house night/time as your kindergartner. Luckily I knew the teacher and asked if we could come a bit early so I could go and jet back to my school's open house. Jared was thankful too because 40 some kindergartners and parents in one small room isn't the easiest!
Hudson finding his name tag
He found it, with a bit of help:).
Since Summit has an A/B group of kindergartners, his start date was different than mine, YAY! So I was able to be at school his first day. This meant a lot to me!
First Day of Kindergarten!!!
Jared took the kids to Summit while I headed to school to make up my time.
Hudson was ready to go! No hesitation, right to the playground!
Then they lined up and into the classroom we went!
Listening to directions and putting his backpack on his chair:).
Classic sibling shot...
Hannah wasn't having it this morning. She didn't want to hold his hand. Aww, so true to life:). She had a hard morning without Hud but once Miss Lexie worked her magic, she was fine!
Picture with Mrs. Termath:).
He had a wonderful day and couldn't wait to go back!
One little girl from small group in his class and he sat by her at lunch. They were too cute!
These pics were actually taken later that day:).
Better sibling shot:).

















Sounds like God worked it out for Hudson to be there! I hope he has a wonderful year! He looks happy. :)
ReplyDelete