Well last spring, I had to make the dreaded decision of whether or not to go back full time or give up part of my contract and remain a 0.5fte since I was technically on maternity leave for 2 years. After the blessed past two years in kindergarten, it was a no brainer so I have up 0.5 (even though I was 1 of over 300 applicants for my job). Well I started off my year like any other, dreading it at first but then excited after meeting my new kiddos (I love my summer time with my Huddy!). On day 3, my boss came to me after my KG shift, and said she was going to ask me something but I couldn't say no at first. I stared at her blankly, because she is always asking us to do something, ha ha. She asked if I would do a pm. Initially I said no, but told her I would get back to her the next day. She said she need to know that day by 3 pm, giving me 3 hours to decide. Ugh. So I talked with my teaching partner about the pros and cons of working full time. She is very logical and said the cons were I would miss my Huddy, so true! The pros were: pay of debt, school loans, do home improvements, and possibly stay at home for a year when I have my next kid. I was sold on the last option! So I talked with a few coworkers and they all responded with "We would love to see you more in the building, we miss you!" They were so sweet. I called Huddy's new daycare lady to ask if he could go full time, she said "Sure!" It's like every door was wide open. So I called Jared and my mom, both who were very supportive. Mom told me that Hudson is sleeping over 3 hours and I will just work during his nap, so true. So after a few hours of deep thinking (something I don't do often:)) and praying, I took the PM kindergarten. I get to do the same thing morning and afternoon but my afternoon has 7 kiddos:). SWEET!
My fear was for my Huddy Buddy. We have again switched daycares on him due to different teachers and schedule conflicts. Sunday night, I told him he would eat breakfast with Miss Lexie, play, have lunch, take a nap, and mamma would be there to pick him up. I was so worried! So Monday morning, I got there SUPER early and we hung out. He cried as soon as he walked in. Broke my heart. My eyes started to pool with tears. Can I do this? Then we asked Miss Lexie for some breakfast. After that, he was all smiles! See below:
Miss Lexie took a first day picture of Huddy and I. Look at how he is snuggling into me:). So sweet! She puts them in their cubies to look at. Hudson got busy playing with the connects and building a combine. I snuck out and he had a fabulous day. For starters, no accidents that day or at least until Friday. He made it a good 4 days but they took a field trip Friday morning and I think it was a bit too long:(. Secondly, he asked where mommy was and Miss Lexie said I was at my school, working. Then he asked where daddy was. She explained he is at work. Hudson replied with "That's ok, mommy will be back after nap." I guess he repeated that often throughout the day. He even napped about 3 hours. Miss Lexie has 4-5 two and three year old boys, Hudson fits in perfectly. FEW! I can do this, through Christ who gives me strength. Thank you for the easy transitions this year! He hasn't cried once! He loves it and b/c she is a smaller daycare, she takes the boys on lost of field trips. So fun! Lexie has been a God send and she loves Hudson which makes my heart happy:).
A good friend of mine told me a statistic that blew my mind. The working mom spends 17 minutes of quality time each day with their child. The stay at home mom spends 20. Isn't that mind blowing? I don't know where this statistic is but I know that its easy to take advantage of all your time with your children. My goal is to double the time, once in the morning, and in the afternoon as well. I will make quality time with my Huddy!
This was Hudson later his first day:).
Funny Miss Lexie Stories:
~Every morning they have "share time" where they get to hold a stick and tell the group what's on their mind. Well Hudson stands up (the group is sitting) and puts the stick down. He places both hands on the boys next to him and says "My dad has a boat. It's really fast. We go in the water and play in the sand." What a nut! WE don't have a boat and he was scared of it most of the summer. Then he says "Ok" and sits down. Let's just say, Hudson's personality has really started to develop:).
~Ask I get out of my car to pick up Hudson, He has crab apples in his mouth. He tells me "I'm picking apples" and proceeded to say that the rest of the night. He even ate them and they are gross!!!
~Hudson puts both hands on Lexie's cheeks and says "Miss Lexie loves me!" She replies with "Yes I do!" Then the other boys chime in "Miss Lexie loves me too!" and Hudson replies with "Yes, yes she does." Ha, ha!
~Hudson was pretty tired one day and from 10:00 on, he would ask if it was nap time after every activity. Miss Lexie told him "No it's not, but would you like to paint?" So he paints and then asks if its nap time. This goes on for about 2 hours until lunch time. Hudson eats the fastest every (he is such a slow eater!) and after he was done he said "Now it's nap time!" and went straight for his cot.
~ Another little boy is potty training and he gets skittles when he goes "poopy" in the potty. Well Hudson has been trying to go "poopy" there just to get a treat, but no such luck. But this other little boy does and he will be on the potty saying "treat, treat" so Hudson brings him a treat. I guess he can reach the treats and then of course he asks for one himself:). Such a good helper?!
~ They were on their field trip to Balboa Park and Hudson starting putting his hands down his pants. Miss Lexie asked what was going on down there and Hudson replied with "I don't know what's going on down there?" He was very perplexed:).
***I will say I had a fabulous first week but Friday was rough. It started with me carrying in a box (too large for me of course) with my coffee in it and dropping it, spilling my coffee all over me and my important teacher items in my box. Not fun and it was a long day. Thank God for weekends:).
I'm glad full time is going good and Hudson likes his new daycare. It's so hard when you know they are upset. I love the picture of you and Hudson
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you and Hudson are both doing great with this new transition. I think you made a great decision and it will all pay off in the end! Those statistics about the working mom and stay at home mom hit me too- I am going to try to make every effort as well to spend quality time with my boys.
ReplyDeleteWOW you are one busy lady!! That is so fun! Glad your health & spirt is ready to take on the school year. So glad Huddy is adjusting well that is so great that things are going so well! We will pray from you guys to keep you healthy and going stong!!
ReplyDeleteSO glad that things are working out so well! That's awesome that you have the opportunity, and even better that Huddy is napping through your afternoon away anyway! His teacher sounds great! I loved the Miss Lexie loves me one. So cute.
ReplyDeleteI can totally believe that statistic about the quality time! I read to my girls a LOT, but giving them one-on-one face-to-face undivded attention is rare. I really need to work on that more!
Oh, I love your stories so much! I've been away from blogland lately, and it's been so fun catching up. :)
ReplyDelete