Well my weeks have been a blur lately. Jared has been working long hours and during the peak of his busy season, my poor boy complained about his tooth. He said it at dinner one night but ate and was fine the rest of the night. I didn't think of it twice. Then when it came to bedtime, he didn't want to sleep in his bed and started to cry. That's not normal for my boy! He loves his bed! So I knew something was wrong and again he complained of his tooth hurting. Well that night we maybe slept 2 hours and it wasn't all together. He kept telling me his tooth hurt and he had tears in his eyes. Hudson never complains and we spent the whole night "over-dosing" on ibuprofen and Toy Story/Tarzan. So as soon as the dentist opened, I called! Well of course or pediatric dentist was out of town so I had to find a new one. They recommended the Kids Dental in Liberty Lake. So I called there and their earliest "emergency" appointment was 2. Yikes! Luckily Hudson was exhausted and so was I so we both napped while Daddy watched Hannah and worked.
Off we headed to the dentist. He was so sweet and kind despite the pain he was in. Hudson told the hygienist where it hurt and they gave him some gas while the dentist shaved off the tip of his canine/incisor. The dentist said he could cap it but those teeth usually shave down with use so he thought we'd just start shaving off the tip where the spot was. We did it in hopes of not having to pull the tooth because you use that tooth till your 11.
Well that night he layer on the couch and didn't eat dinner and did this instead
He again wanted to sleep with me and again we didn't sleep but watched, can you guess? Yes, Toy Story & Tarzan all night long. The scary part was at midnight his face started to swell by his cheek, then it moved up to his nose and then into his eye. At first I thought it was a reaction to the anesthesia because my mom is allergic to it but I realized it was only on the side of his tooth that was hurting him and it was a delayed swelling.
So freaked out, I called the dentist who didn't open till 11am. Ok. Do I find my 3rd dentist? Then I decided to call the doctor via my mother's recommendation. I got a 9:15 with him and the dentist happens to be across the street. I called hoping I could leave another message and the billing lady answered. She said to pop by after the doctors visit to see what he says.
| On the way to the doctor |
Well the doctor scared me! Hudson's face was increasing in size just in the 15 minutes we were there. He wanted me to take him to the hospital and get IVs and antibiotics. I was stressed because of Jared's work schedule, the fact my kids swelling was getting worse, and now I'm gonna be in the hospitable for 2 days. Oh man. I was ready to do what we needed to do but I kept asking about his tooth. The swelling was only on the side of his hurt tooth so I had a feeling it had to go. After discussing this, calling the hospitable, seeing up our arrangements, we agreed to walk over to the dentist office to see if he was in. The Dr. was super sweet and walked us over and they chatted about the hospital and the dentist said he thought it was tooth and it needed to go! The dentist agreed and I'd check back in the morning. Luckily I witnessed a little girl the previous day getting 2 teeth pulled so I saw how easy it was. I get nervous with anything that inflicts pain on my children! I wanted to cry but when I looked at his face and the increased swelling, the Lord gave me strength because I knew it wouldn't get better until that darn tooth was out! So he pulled it in less than 15 minutes. I felt so bad because when the dentist injected the Novocain Hudson says "Mommy, it doesn't hurt anymore!" Poor guy! I think he was in a lot more pain then he could articulate.
After, he was fine but the gauze freaked him out the most. He cried and cried about it as he dripped drool and blood all over his shirt. I almost took a picture but I he was so upset, it was mean! We got home and then he saw his face. He lost it more and I couldn't get him to calm down. Finally I got him on my bed for a nap and more Toy Story & Tarzan. He relaxed and fell asleep. Poor little guy, he was so emotional:(.
That night we slept pretty well! He woke up once and needed some pain medicine. He woke up looking like this
The doctor called that morning to check in. It hadn't gone down but it hadn't increased either so he said he'll probably be fine but if it gets worse to give him a call.
Then I knew he was feeling better because this happened:
The prized tooth! That thing is long!
The hardest part of this all was getting him to sleep back in his bed. His exact words were "Mommy, I like sleeping with you. You're bed is way better than mine!" Seriously?! He has a fort bed! Maybe is was the love, attention, and movies?!
It was an exhausting few days but I'm glad he is feeling better. The cause of all this tooth trouble was when he fell in the jogging stroller at 2. He landed on his teeth and chipped the front two and fractured them. Apparently he hurt more teeth than we knew about! Traumatized teeth can react at any time. Poor kiddo! We sure love him!
PS: He is now back in his bed:).









Oh my my my! Poor Huddy (& poor mommy!). So glad he's doing much better. We love you Hud Bud!!!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness what an ordeal!!! Poor thing. And poor Mama! I think it's harder on us than them! So glad he's better!
ReplyDeletePoor Hudson! I'm glad he is better now! He is so brave to go through all of that and let them pull his tooth. I agree with Rachel. I never liked the dentist as a kids but it wasn't horrible. I hate th dentist now as a mom though!
ReplyDelete