Yes, this past Sunday we had to make our first 9-1-1 call. Talk about scary! The worst part was Jared was alone with the kids because I was on a day trip to Seattle. I get a text from my neighbor that says "can I help." I respond with "?" She then texts "Are you home?" I said no I'm in Seattle and Jared is. Then she texts me "call me now." My heart started to beat faster. I called her and she tells me there is an ambulance at our house. I'm trying to hold it together and not cry. Ok. So I ask her to keep me on the phone and walk into the house. All the paramedics (5 or so) are upstairs in Hudson's room. Keri hands the phone to the paramedic and he tells me Hudson has had trouble breathing. Ok. No limbs lost? Both kids are alive? Few. The paramedic asked if Hudson wanted to talk to me and he said "No thanks." Great, we're already to that point where he doesn't want to talk to his mother:(. He said that his oxygen level was low and he needed to go to the hospital for a steroid to loosen up the lungs. Nothing new here. Hudson gets croup all the time and so many steroid shots. I'm thinking "is it really that serious?" Obviously if Jared called 9-1-1. So Keri (one of my wonderful neighbors) took Hannah and another neighbor rode with Jared to the hospital (she's a nurse!) to make sure he was ok. They checked him in and here he is with daddy:
Watching cars!
Later my parents joined and picked up Hannah from Keri. Nana was worried about Hannah because she was the one that was sick, not Hudson.
Here the respiratory therapist who gave him the nebulizer treatment. I guess she wanted to take him home. Who wouldn't?!
So Jared stopped at the pharmacy and picked up his nebulizer. We have been doing a few treatments a day because he still gets a coughing fits.
Jared's version of the story: the monitor was on, yes we have a monitor on our 4 year old-don't judge:), and he could he heard Hudson crying (or so he thought). He ran upstairs. Just as he got to the door Hudson was at the door. Jared picked him up and carried him downstairs. Then Hudson started coughing and couldn't stop. He was coughing so hard he started to gag and throw up. Hudson then started to not be able to catch his breath. It got to the point where Jared called 9-1-1. He was bad enough that he realized he couldn't drive Hudson to the to hospital. One the phone, I told the operator Hudson was coughing and having a tough time breathing. The operator asked for our address. Then she transferred Jared to the fire department. The fire department said it sounds like he had croup. Take him into the bathroom and start the shower. Help is on it's way. Then they hung up. Jared was upstairs trying to comfort him telling him people were on their way. The paramedics walked in b/c Jared was waiting at the door. They asked where Hudson was and he said he was upstairs. Went through a lot of questions. Age? Birthday? Asthma problems? When did it start? While the other paramedic checked Hudson out. His oxygen level was in the 80s which I guess is pretty low. Then of course with all the commotion Hannah woke up crying so Jared had to take care of her and leave Hudson with the paramedics. Hudson was doing pretty well and so they brought him downstairs and continued to check his vitals. During this Keri came in and took Hannah while Jared made her bottle. Then they discussed taking to the hospital by ambulance or Jared taking him. Another neighbor came over (via my request) and talked to the paramedic. Then Jared decided to take him. So he signed some paperwork and they left. Andrea asked if Hudson would like her to ride in the car to the hospital with them. In a round about confusing way he said no but I don't think he understood so she clarified and he said yes. Jared dressed him, hopped into the car with Andrea, and headed to the hospital.
Jared "My son had trouble breathing, called the paramedics, and they said he needed to see a physician." Checked in and waited for 15 minutes or so while Hudson was enamored with the aquarium. They took his vitals. Then they were escorted to a room where they watched WALLE. A few minutes later Nana and Pops showed up with Hannah. Nurse practitioner saw him. She prescribed the nebulizer. Respitory therapist came in and gave him a treatment. Another nurse came in and gave him the oral steroid. Then they watched Cars. Nana and Pops took turns walking Hannah up the hall. Hudson mentioned a few times a sharp bone in his back that big. To this day we still don't know what he means. They cleared him. Nana and Pops left to get him a humidifier (because Hannah has the other one) and we went to Walgreens to get his nebulizer medicine. Then the nebulizer guy came and showed Jared how to work it. Then mommy was there shortly.
I'm glad he was ok and I was able to tuck him in and snuggle:). Love you Hud Bud!
A few days later: We did have to take him back to the doctor to check him out a few days later because he said he was "wobbly" and couldn't walk. I didn't know what that meant and I wasn't going to mess around with it! We took him in and he's fine, few! He is still fighting his croup and possibly a bug but with lots of rest (and being cooped up for days) he'll back to his normal self soon!





Scary! I'm glad Hudson is OK and your neighbors were there for Jared!
ReplyDeleteSo thankful everything turned out ok. Jared did good by calling 911. That's what it's there for. So scary!
ReplyDeleteYikes, that sounds so scary! Especially for you since you weren't there! It is always worse in your imagination! I'm so glad he's fine, and everything worked out. Yay for good neighbors!
ReplyDelete