December was a busy month! We did get a sledding day in but it was a really dry, snow free month. Sadness! I was eager to get out all the Christmas decorations this year. Some years I dread the hustle and bustle of getting out the Christmas bins and decorating. I already live with a Scrooge so unless I give in to no Christmas decor, it's up to me:).
My favorite activity/decoration is the kids advent calendar. Hudson loves pulling out an object every day to complete the nativity. He can read the numbers, counts how many are on the nativity scene above and how many are left. Usually I do advent activities with him but for some reason it slipped my mind this year. Hannah really enjoyed pulling all the objects out of the pockets and off the scene. This aggravated Hudson a bit and so it ended up on the counter most of the season:).
Then it was tree time. So on the coldest day, about 3 degrees, we went to get a tree. Jared wasn't feeling well so I got it this year, with my helper of course. We debated on a tree this year with Hannah because she is into EVERYTHING but in the end, I couldn't live without my Charlie Brown tree:).
![]() |
| Searching for the perfect tree! |
![]() |
| I can chop the tree too with my ninja sword! |
![]() |
| Watch me mom! |
| Pops, do ya see one? |
Here is our beauty. It looks good from this angle but the back is pretty much bare:). It was a perfect tree for a young family. Hannah never really touched it either.
Daddy was gone a week or two before Christmas so I took the kids on drives for Christmas lights in that evenings. It helped boost all of our moods:). This will definitely become a tradition.
Hudson was invited to be a shepherd at Holman Gardens for their annual live nativity. Gigi was proud as punch her great grandson was in the play. Hudson sure liked it and told me I could go sit down and leave him with the kids (sniff sniff, he's growing up).
![]() |
| Rope! Yes! |
Jared was out of town so Gpa helped with Hannah. She's his little buddy:).
![]() |
| Leading the shepherds in |
![]() |
| Meanwhile I chased this |
| The whole group |
Every year the CEO of Holman Gardens comes and reads the nativity. As he reads aloud, the kids come out and play the parts of the story. His family did this when he was growing up. I hope to incorporate this into our Christmas traditions as well. I have A LOT of nativities but it would be nice to read the story of Christ's birth at the beginning of the season and then put the nativity out as we read it.
| Love you Gigi |
Of course, there is the annual Harley Davidson visit and pics with Santa.
| I'd like a doughnut and some milk! |
This year our dear friends Wes and Arianne moved back to Spokane. Wes' dad always dresses up as Santa and we were invited for a dinner with Santa.
![]() |
| The classic Hudson pose |
Hudson told Santa what he wanted, a Ninja Turtle gun
Santa brought presents for the kids:)
![]() |
| Buds |
![]() |
| The gang |
![]() |
| Best Santa EVER |
We aren't a big "Santa" family. Honestly it stems from when I found out and how I reacted. My parents didn't even do Santa with my brother because I was so mad, hurt, upset. They had lied to me. We don't talk about Santa. The kids know who he is and we do presents but Santa isn't part of the equation. We just really enjoyed an evening with friends celebrating our kids together:).
We did our Christmas Eve's eve skiing.
![]() |
| What? Can't see anything? Yeah, neither could we. |
I said a few times, "Well at least it's not raining" …then it rained.
That day we came home a bit…early. It was horrible conditions but REAL skiers ski in all weather. We came home to this adorable little boy
| Reading "The Hobbit" |
It was a busy day! That night we headed to the North Pole for the Coeur D'Alene cruise.
Pops danced with Hannah. Hudson's favorite part was the Grinch:).
Uncle Joe showed Hudson where the Ninja Turtles live:).
![]() |
| Here fishy fishy |
The night before Jared stayed up SUPER late and put together the kids play kitchen. He didn't get enough sleep so he did ski, for a few runs but he was pretty tired all day and honestly not much fun. But the kids gift was put together!
Then I started something new this year, sibling gifts. Something small they could give each other. Hudson wanted the Batman nightlight (and we needed another night light upstairs) so Hannah gave that to him and Hudson wanted to give her a doll (even though she has a few:)). So sweet.
![]() |
| Baby |
| Hudson and daddy put together a rainforest. Hudson is obsessed with Jaguars still. |
This particular Christmas eve we went to Holman Gardens for some prime rib:). Mmm! Gigi lead the prayer.
![]() |
| Daddy entertaining the kids |
![]() |
| I see you Gigi! |
![]() |
| Family pic Christmas eve 2013 |
That night we did our traditional Christmas eve service at Foothills. Hannah made it for half the service then Jared left with her. We came home, put on pjs, and Uncle Joe continued reading the Hobbit to Hudson:).
![]() |
| Game Time! |
Then it was Christmas morning! We woke Uncle Joe up with snuggles, Grinch snuggles:).
The kids couldn't wait to open presents:). Hudson helps pass out the presents. Notice pops newspaper wrapping?
Hudson's favorite gift was his Ninja Turtle gun that he's been asking for:).
Hudson explained the gun and all it's functions to Hannah.
Hannah loved her broom! She's such a cleaner, like her mamma!
Turtle Power!
Gotcha daddy!
A favorite visitor was Snowball, a neighbors kitty.
Hannah also got a toaster, hot water pot, and an espresso maker. She was making us coffees left and right. I think she has a barista future:).
![]() |
| Hannah drinking coffee & brother hiding under a blanket = normal |
Christmas day ended up just gorgeous. No snow, but the clear sky and frozen crystals on the trees, made it breathtaking.
Gigi got Hudson some cool Batman slippers but his favorite was...
The Donatello mask and sword. Turtle Power!
The many faces of a turtle:
One of my favorite memories this Christmas was of Hudson and Gigi:).
Some napped...
Then Hudson became the Grinch, and stole the candy canes off the tree. Naughty little Grinch!
| Gorgeous sunset |
While we watched the sunset, Jared got a call from his mom. This wasn't a happy call:(. Jared's Uncle had been hospitalized for pneumonia around the 17th. He had died. Suddenly, unexpectedly, what they thought was going to cure him, didn't. More in the next post. It was a melancholy evening.
Then Hudson and Gigi watched Planes together:). She gave it to Hudson for Christmas. One of my favorite memories with my Grandma was watching movies with her. She enjoyed it just as much as Hudson did!
Then it was time to pack up and head home!
Hudson was really enjoying his Turtle phone from Aunt Kiki.
This pic below is a favorite of mine:). Hudson is sitting on Joe's chair from our childhood. Just sitting here, gazing at the tree. What a sweet boy he is!
| Hudson's special things from Christmas:). |

















































































No comments:
Post a Comment